Regional winners for the first Pasifika Youth Short Film Competition announced for the Bay of Plenty
The regional winners of the first Pasifika Youth Short Film Competition were announced for the Bay of Plenty at a red carpet awards ceremony held in Rotorua in July. 30 Pasifika high school students from across the Bay took part in the competition including students from Rotorua Boys High; Rotorua Intermediate; Kaitao Intermediate; John Paul College; Rotorua Girls High; Rotorua Lakes High; Katikati College; Mount Maunganui College; and Tauranga Boys College.
The competition was held by Poporazzi Productions,and the films were judged by an all-star line of Pasifika from the screen industry – Stacey Leilua, Jay Tauamiti, Stallone Vaiaoga-Ioasa, and Nicole Whippy.
11 winners were announced on the night. The Co-Founders of Poporazzi Productions, husband and wife team, Esera Tanoa’i and Tupe Solomon-Tanoa’i say, “We hope that the confidence our youth gained will stay with them for a long time. Regardless of whether they received a prize, completing a short film is a significant achievement, and telling your story is its own reward. The real competition is between the film you make this year, and the film you make next year.”
- BEST DIRECTOR SENIOR – Roman Tukimaka, Katikati College
- BEST DIRECTOR JUNIOR – Polaapau Akauola, Rotorua Intermediate
- BEST ACTRESS – Annie Peni, Katikati College
- BEST ACTOR – Desmond Mafile’o, Rotorua Boys High
- BEST SOUND – Lona Tautua’a, Katikati College
- BEST EDITING – Melina Pelesikoti, Katikati College
- BEST DOCUMENTARY – Joseph O’Connor, Mt Maunganui College
- BEST PASIFIKA LANGUAGE – Henele Akauola, Rotorua Intermediate
- BEST SCHOOL – Katikati College
- PEOPLE’S CHOICE – Desmond Mafile’o, Rotorua Boys High
- BEST FILM – Joseph O’Connor, Mt Maunganui College