Public Interest Journalism funded through NZ On Air
Samoa’s Ministry of Health has confirmed the country’s first Covid-19 related death on 30 March 2022, 13 days after the first community case was detected on 17 March 2022.
In a written statement the deceased, a 67 year old male, had multiple comorbidities. He died shortly after he was admitted to the Lalomanu District Hospital yesterday.
Out of respect for the family the Ministry will not be making any further comments. Samoa Observer reports the latest Covid-19 statistics released by M.O.H. at 4am on Thursday did not capture a Covid-19 related death as the data was compiled at 2pm on Wednesday. There was also no ICU case in the data provided.
According to the press statement from the Ministry 172 new community cases were reported bringing the total number of cumulative community cases since 17 March to 1665 with 1353 active community cases.
Approximately 97 percent of community cases are in Upolu with the remaining 3 percent in Savaii,” the report noted. “There are still no community cases recorded for the islands of Manono and Apolima Tai.”